Senior Ruby Software Engineer
Overview of role
We are looking for an exceptional senior software engineer who is experienced at building applications for consumers and enterprises. You will play a leading role on our teams and have flexibility, autonomy and responsibility to help design, build and maintain cloudbased applications that are used by thousands of dental professionals across the globe.
Who we are
Henry Schein One provides leading online dental practice management software to thousands of dental professionals. We are shaping the future of how millions of patients interact with their dental practice. We aim to solve tough, real-world problems by continuously innovating in the product space. We are growing our team to allow us to expand the use of Dentally across the globe.
Our Tech and Tools
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails , Ember.js
- Postgres, Redis
- Puma, Sidekiq
- Heroku, AWS
- GitHub Asana, Slite, Slack, New Relic
The way we work
We are not looking for ticket takers, we are looking for problem solvers. You won’t find us in JIRA and we don’t Sprint. We work using the Shape Up methodology, enabling us to be product-focused for 6 weeks, followed by 2 weeks to pay down technical debt, fix some bugs and play with new tech before we start another cycle. Our development teams are presented with problems, supported by context and research to help them tackle and deliver a solution. Collaboration is a big part of how we operate. You are responsible for making decisions that will affect thousands of users.
You are highly self motivated and can work independently or partner closely with other engineers on a project. You have proven experience within leading roles on software engineering team projects. You are excited about building high quality products and want to own the product development lifecycle starting with the right design and development principles. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills. You enjoy solving problems and like to challenge yourself by building scalable and highly performant solutions.
What you’ll be working on
- Creating intuitive web applications for a range of different end users and partners
- Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining your application (including periodic on-call allocations where needed)
- Owning front-end and back-end development for your application
- Designing, building and maintaining API infrastructure that allows for integration between different services and third party systems
- Working effectively with product managers, other engineers and business stakeholders on the project
- Communicating technical ideas and leading projects with a focus on solving real world business challenges
Your Technical skills
You are a talented engineer with experience spanning some of the below requirements
- Senior-level engineer with 5+ years of experience
- Desirable: A robust knowledge of building and working with RESTful APIs
- Desirable: Experience integrating with internal and third party services
- Desirable: A knowledge of cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Heroku, Azure
- Desirable: Knowledge of data migration and ETL practices
It's not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas - we're looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Your personal attributes
- Great communication and collaboration skills working with other engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders
- Independent, proactive, and able to deliver production-ready code with minimal guidance
- Empathetic and authentic
- Inquisitive and interested
- Driven Self-motivated and diligent
- Optimistic and courageous
Our recruiting process
We try to make our process as simple as possible whilst giving you and us opportunities to learn about each other.
1. 30mins of online cultural and cognitive assessments
2. Chat with Head of Software Engineering to review role alignment
3. Technical test followed by review/interview with peer group
After this, we aim to make a decision within 24 hours
Our shared values
Consistently live and demonstrate Henry Schein One core values:
- No politics
- Each person as important as the next
- Recognise creativity and encourage it
- Open communication
- Strong Ethics
Benefits we offer
- Highly competitive salary and benefits package
- Fully remote working
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunity to work in a highly creative and dynamic work environment
- Autonomy and Responsibility for making decisions that will affect thousands of users.
- Ability to help us shape and evolve our culture
- Worldwide career progression opportunities
Apply for the job
To apply for this role, simply complete the form and upload your CV. Our team will then be in touch.